Friday, February 11, 2011

PB Cookies with a little CHOCOLATE! :)

Preacher Man's Mom makes some of the best Peanut Butter Cookies I've ever had!  They aren't your typical PB cookies either.  They are PB cookies rolled in sugar with a Hershey Kiss on top of them.  I've been in the family long enough now to figure out that this is her Christmas cookie recipe.   They are super tasty, too.  So tasty that you could easily eat ten of them and think you only ate two....they are just little drops of goodness. Ahhhhh....hurry up Christmas!

Since it isn't Christmas and I just can't wait another 10.5 months to eat those cookies again, I decided to make a similar cookie with the stuff that I had on hand.  I used a Peanut Butter Cookie recipe from a family cookbook I had and pieces of a Hershey bar.  These cookies definitely hit the spot!


Peanut Butter Cookies from our Family Cookbook:

1 large egg
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter

Combine all of these ingredients together until well incorporated.

Then add the following to the mixture:

1 & 1/4 cup All-Purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

This is what your dough should look like when it is all mixed together:


The dough wasn't dry at all...after looking and maybe taste testing the dough I knew that me and Preacher Man were going to be in for a real treat.
(Note:  Please check out my personalized spatulas from Santa! I *heart* them SO much!  And don't even think about coming in my kitchen and trying to steal them...I'll know if you do!)

I chose to play around with the cookies and see what kind of cookie is the best.  I tried the traditional way of making peanut butter cookies:



The 'ol criss-cross method of smashing down the cookies with a fork EXCEPT I didn't use the flour that most people use.  I just used my trusty cooking spray instead.  It was so much easier to do and it only took one squirt to the back of the fork and I was able to criss cross the entire pan without any sticky problems!

And then I tried this method:



Just leaving the dough in the balls as they baked.

I baked each set of cookies at 350 degrees for 5 minutes*.  Once the five minutes passed I grabbed them out of the oven and shoved a piece of Hershey bar on them a.f.a.p. (as fast as possible) and put them back in the oven for exactly 1 minute.  Trust me on this...no longer than a minute or the chocolate will be a mess.

*Now I have to say that my oven is quite strange.  Your cookies could take longer to bake, but probably not much longer.  I pretty much can't bake anything over 350 degrees in my oven or the fire alarm goes off.  I think it's a little crazy, but why should I complain?!  I have a working oven...at least I'm not baking these babies over coals!

Once your little beauties are out of the oven let them sit on the pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack or your mouth.  (If you try and get them off the pan and into your mouth immediately, the cookie will fall apart and you will probably burn your mouth.  I'm not speaking from experience...pinky promise...I'm just warning you.)

After Preacher Man and I were able to taste test both cookies, we both cast our vote for the best.

Preacher Man = flat criss cross cookie

Preacher's Wife = the poofy cookie

Both cookies were good, but I just liked the poofy, melt in your mouth cookies as opposed to the crisper cookie.

Lastly, this recipe makes about 3-4 dozen cookies.  I ended up freezing part of the dough because that many cookies is just dangerous in our house.  I plan on saving the frozen dough for a rainy day or maybe visitors if someone comes to see me unexpectedly.

We're going to the Circus this weekend!!!

I'll be sure to take my camera!

Everyone have a blessed weekend!

Love, The Preacher's Wife :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment